ARSCLIST  October 2005

ARSCLIST October 2005

Re: Italo Campanini cylinders

Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Oct 2005 14:25:24 -0700

Otto Striebel wrote:

> The Bettini cylinders of Italo Campanini are such treasures.
> I have read the article in "The Record Collector, Vol. 22, No. 8+9 " and the
> article on the internet side "Historical Tenors".
> Who can tell something about the cylinders of Charles Schwab?
>
> Who can acquaint something about the whereabouts of the cylinders of Italo
> Campanini in New York and in Italy?
>
> Keith Moyer wrote the following in his article for "The Record Collector":
> "Now we have solos from Cotogni, Jean B. Faure and Christine Nilsson. What
> next? We may have a Campanini.".
> Is there a recording of Christine Nilsson?
> This would mean a sensation.

It is theoretically possible that there might be a Bettini cylinder of
Italo Campanini (1845-1896) as it is that there might be one of Gayarre
(1844-1890), but I've never heard more than speculation about such a
recording. The best source of information would surely be Christian
Zwarg of Truesound Transfers. His CD of Bettini cylinders (number 1901)
includes recordings as early as 1897 so no Campanini.

Chris may be reached at

His WWW site, with much to offer in addition to his recordings is at
   www.truesoundtransfers.de

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/