ARSCLIST  October 2005

ARSCLIST October 2005

Re: old acetate tapes - curling/tape tension remedies?

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Oct 2005 20:00:59 -0400

Hi Dave/Richard:

Less strenuous is to see about playing a full-track tape with a 2-track
machine and seeing if one track is usable. My experience -- and I think
Richard mentioned this to me once as a perfectly legit method -- is that
warped/crinkled full-track tapes will not track the gap on a full-track head
but will sometimes on one of the two tracks. For spoken word, which I think
is most of Dave's collection, this should make little difference, especially
if you're doing digi-dehissing. For music, it might be more problematic,
although I've transferred very high fidelity classical recordings from
curled full-tracks using this method and the audio is great. I should say
that some tape hiss does not bother me and even Scotch 111 in this method
does not have an objectionable amount of hiss for me. For this method, I had
best results on my Technics deck with their iso-loop type system. Not sure
why it worked better but the phase seemed to track best (ie the treble and
s/n were stable throughout the reel) vs. my Ampex decks.

Another method, which I have used for 2-track tapes with this problem, is to
put a medical gauze pad in the head cup of my Ampex 440B. I first feared
this would cause static buildup and pops, but this has not been the case.
The gauze holds the tape cleanly against the head. It definitely is rough on
the head but it holds the tape firmly enough to track correctly and hold
phase, at both 7.5 and 15 IPS. This method, by the way, was used for some
warped classical 35mm audiofilm that was released on a major label and I'd
challenge anyone to figure out which film it was among the label's releases.
Again, this method is not good for tape heads, so it should be used
sparingly when nothing else works.

If it were me, I'd try mechanical fixes before resorting to chemistry. One
man's opinion, etc.

-- Tom Fine