ZNG November 2005

Re: Proximity search

Julie Blume Nye <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:27:31 -0500

> Proximity is distance.. Within X characters.. Within X words.. within
> some metric. Same element is NOT a metric.

Does anyone else remember the old BRS Search Service?  (traces of which were
still visible in Ovid's command line interface until fairly recently)
In addition to the usual Booleans, there were three "positional" operators:

ADJ  (adjacent terms)
WITH  (terms occur in the same sentence of an element)
SAME (terms occur in the same field/element)

There was no requirement to specify which element, though it was an option.
Basic training included an illustration of how the "inverted index" for a
database was actually constructed... so that searchers would understand how
the positional operators worked (i.e., they were evaluated by comparing the
field number, sentence-within-field number and word-within-sentence number
of the two operands).

---------------------------------------
Julie Blume Nye
Senior Product Designer -- Fretwell-Downing, Inc.
407 River Trace Dr.
Rougemont, NC 27572
Phone: 336-364-2607 Fax: 336-364-4224
E-mail: mailto:[log in to unmask]
Website: www.fdusa.com

The information transmitted in this electronic mail message may contain
confidential and or privileged materials. For full details and restrictions
see http://www.fdgroup.com/emaildisclaimer.html