ARSCLIST  February 2006

ARSCLIST February 2006

Re: Cassette obsolescence

Marie O'Connell <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:17:28 -0600

Hi Geeta

24/96 is better than 16/44.1, but it takes up about 4 times the disk storage
space and complicates the .wav issue.  This may not be so much of an issue
for your institution, in this day and age, where storage space can be so
cheap.

Also, The Red Book specifies the physical parameters and properties of the
CD, the optical "stylus" parameters, deviations and error rate, modulation
system and error correction, and subcode channels and graphics.

It also specifies the form of digital audio encoding (2-channel 16-bit PCM
clocked at 44100 Hz). These parameters have become something of of standard.

About some of the cassettes, keep an eye out for Sony C90's from the 70's -
they break at the hub.  BASF Headmaster Series C90's, the felt falls out
often and then you have to break open the molded casings and replace them.
Other nasty brands are Realistic, Concertape, Sun-Pro, Scotch AVC 60,
Certron, Ampex C60, BCX 120, Columbia C60, Scotch 3M 90 - the list goes on!

Cheers

Marie O'Connell
Sound Archivist/Audio Engineer
The Center For Oral History & Cultural Heritage
The University Of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive #5175
Hattiesburg, MS, 39401-406
Ph: 601-266-6514