ARSCLIST  February 2006

ARSCLIST February 2006

Re: And now for something completely different...

Marie Azile O'Connell <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Feb 2006 06:53:28 -0600

Hi Richard and all

This is for field recordings/oral histories using Marantz PMD 660's.  We are
wanting to purchase bigger cards, 2 or 4 Gig, so the operator doesn't feel
pressured into getting back to the Center after just one interview.  They will
record in wav format.  http://www.zzounds.com/item--MARPMD660

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Cheers
Marie

Quoting "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>:

> At 01:02 PM 2/23/2006, Marie O'Connell wrote:
> >I have been asked by my boss if there is a 'preferred' Flash Memory Card
> for
> >digital recordings.  Any tips would be great.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Hi, Marie,
>
> Well, this is a new field for us in audio land, but it is
> well-discussed in digital photography arenas.
>
> Digital photography is no more immune to rumour and innuendo than
> audio, and a fair amount of FUD floats around there, too.
>
> With that said, I have both Lexar and Sandisk cards which have
> performed flawlessly. A discussion thread on the Canon digital board
> seemed to favour Sandisk over Lexar. A discussion on the Nikon
> digital board also said that Kingston was excellent for less.
>
> Before making a huge investment, I think trying out the card in the
> intended device is a good choice.
>
> What devices are you selecting that use the CF cards?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard
>

> Tape Restoration Seminar:    MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.
> Aurora, Ontario, Canada       (905) 713 6733     1-877-TAPE-FIX

Marie O'Connell
Sound Archivist/Sound Engineer/Sound Consultant
Center for Oral History & Cultural Heritage
University of Southern Mississippi
Phone: 601-266-6514
Mobile: 601-329-6911