ARSCLIST  February 2006

ARSCLIST February 2006

Re: De-static question

phillip holmes <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:20:39 -0600

What kind of cartridge do you use?  You could buy several different stylus
tips to experiment with.

Mono LPs were cut with a wider groove, so that a microgroove stylus will
ride much further down in the groove than it should.

I think that the old vinyl was a little noisier from the start (in my
experience with mint records), but took much more abuse before becoming
unplayable (compared to a Columbia or RCA from the '70s that had a much
softer vinyl formulation and was thin and floppy).

Cutting engineers for the audiophile labels like Classic Records try to
limit the side to 17 minutes for the best fidelity.  They cut louder than
the old records with as big a groove as possible.  That gives the best sound
with the high end cartridges.  If you play one of those with a junky
cartridge, it may mistrack during loud passages.  A good example of what can
happen is with the first pressing on RCA of The Pines of Rome.  It was cut
without compression and bass summing making listener's cartridges literally
jump out of the grooves.  A modern cartridge like a Shure V15 tracks it
without problem, but 40 years ago, a Shure M3D couldn't play it.  So they
pulled the 1S pressings they had left, re-cut it with bass summing and some
compression and the 1S pressing became a one of a kind sonic spectacular
that would fetch $400 easy.  The louder cutting is harder to track but
brings the music that much further above the noise floor of the vinyl, the
stylus scraping the vinyl, the rumble of he bearing, any hum in the arm wire
and RIAA circuit, and any other problems you may have with limitations to
the playback chain.  But you need a good cartridge.

That M44 cartridge is very modern in its execution.  It'll track almost
anything a V15 will track, but it has either an elliptical or conical tip,
where the V15 has a fine line or microridge tip.  I know one of the things
that you are hearing with the M44 is that it has a heavy and ridged aluminum
cantilever designed for heavy use.  Couple that with a conical tip, and the
high end starts to roll off very quickly.  It acts as a mechanical filter
because it doesn't respond quickly to reproduce the tics and pops the way a
hyper elliptical with a light/fragile cantilever will.  The conical tip
won't track the high frequencies depending on what the loudness is, or if
it's close to the end of the side, or if the frequencies are high.  Picture
the groove as mountains.  The big peaks are bass and midrange and the scrub
brush is treble.  And hear comes a huge boulder.  It's coming down a slope
that has very few crags (no loud bass or midrange) and it can track the
scrub brush (highs) just fine.  But all of a sudden this big round boulder
hits some big ridges (bass drum whacks or organ pedals) and in the process,
since it is big and round it can't go all the way down into the craggy area.
The boulder because it is big and round will skip from the top of one ridge
to the top of the next because the size of the boulder prevents it from
riding all the way down into the valley (the valley is narrower than the
thickness of the boulder).  It can track the brush as long as something
bigger doesn't get in the way.  With a microridge diamond the think acts
more like a garden trowel with a thin edge and can go all the way down into
the valleys.  So Tom's theory is correct.  The big needle just doesn't
reproduce as much of the noise cause it can't reach it.

How about a humidifier?  I have one going during the winter months for my
allergies and to cut down on static.  Works like a charm.  It's an
evaporative type, not the heating element kind.

If you are playing mono records, I would suggest investing in a mono
cartridge (true mono, not a stereo cartridge strapped to mono internally).
I have the Denon dl102 and it makes hammered records play much better.  It
has a conical tip and it ignores any vertical information (the vertical
noise on a mono record is only noise; the signal is the horizontal back and
forth).  Vertical noise is 30dB down from the horizontal signal.  I played a
hammered copy of Dial 203, Charlie Parker Quintet.  I would grade it as
Poor.  With a modern cartridge, it was unlistenable.  With the mono
cartridge and proper EQ (another variable), it was still noisy, but you
could make out the music much easier.

The DL102 is described here:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/murraya/DenonMonoPage.htm

Sorry to go on and on.