METS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

METS Home

METS  February 2006

METS February 2006

METS for transporting of various files

"Riley, Jenn" <[log in to unmask]>

Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:46:31 -0500

Hello all-

I've recently been looking at the possibility of using METS to list,
link to, and describe relationships between a set of diverse files being
transported from one institution to another. The purpose of this METS
file would be to provide enough information on the files being
transported to ensure they arrived safely, and to provide some very
basic information on the relationships between the files (2 different
bit rates of audio, scanned page images of concert programs representing
descriptive metadata of a sort, and two types of files containing
technical metadata about the audio files). I've come up with a proposal
that in some places gets a little creative with the use of METS for
these purposes. Since I know there's a fine line between creativity and
a hack, I was interested in other opinions about some of the practices
I've proposed.

1) Every single file being transported (even the ones though of as
descriptive or technical metadata) has an entry in the <fileSec>,
allowing us to indicate checksum, etc. These are grouped by type of
file.

2)

Jenn Riley
Metadata Librarian