METS Archives

METS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

METS Home

METS  February 2006

METS February 2006

file USE attribute

"Bradley D. Westbrook" <[log in to unmask]>

Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Feb 2006 12:34:03 -0800

Hello, folks.

At UCSD and other sites in the UC system we are trying to reach
understanding of how to use the file USE attribute for <fileGrp> or
<file> in <fileSec>.  According to the METS documentation, the file
USE attribute is "an optional string attribute indicating the
intended use of all the files within this file group (e.g., master,
reference, thumbnails for image files)."

We are currently developing a METS profile that can be applied to
objects that can include image, text, audio, and video file
formats.  Consequently, we need USE values for file formats other
than those typically used for image file formats.  However, we are
simply not certain how important the USE attribute is for processing
METS instances.

Here are some specific questions:

1