METS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

METS Home

METS  February 2006

METS February 2006

Re: file USE attribute

Jerome McDonough <[log in to unmask]>

Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Feb 2006 15:17:18 -0600

> 1)  What was the motivation for providing the option to express a
> file's intended use?

Originally, just to provide a hook for applications software to do
something like
identify all of the thumbnails for display purposes or provide a list
of all of the
master files so you can distinguish files you really want to preserve
from derivatives
that you might be willing to scrap.

> 2)  How are institutions using the USE attribute in processing METS
> instances?
>
> 3)  What are the values institutions are using to encode the USE
> attribute?

Now that I'm a humble academic, I leave those two questions for
people who
do real work.

> 4)  Would there be benefit to the METS user community in a
> standardized and extensible list of file USE attribute values?

I think so.

Jerome McDonough, Asst. Professor
Graduate School of Library & Information Science
501 E. Daniel Street, Room 202
Champaign, IL 61820
(217) 244-5916