MODS February 2006

Re: Question: Source of title

"Timothy W. Cole" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Feb 2006 09:52:04 -0600

While the use assumptions Bill articulates may be inherent in Aquifer plans
for OAI-PMH (though I'm not even sure that's true), it is not inherent in
OAI-PMH itself.

We can anticipate (and are already beginning to see) OAI-based services that
are designed to do more significant work with harvested metadata before or
even instead of redirecting end-users back to original source full-content
repositories. Analytical services over harvested metadata and potentially
full content, services that look to de-dup or uncover and exploit new
relationships between objects, other services that may do extensive work
with harvested metadata and/or associated full-content before or instead of
pointing end-users back to original source repository can all (potentially
at least) be implemented using OAI-PMH. Such more sophisticated OAI-based
services may have reason to want to know explicitly the source of title
values in harvested metadata records -- it may matter to some OAI-based
services, if not now, then at some point in the future. I don't think
generic consideration of OAI-PMH sheds light on this question.

So, while I agree with Jenn and Bill that the assumptions embedded in the
Aquifer Metadata Working Group's current draft recommendation should be
recognized as having limited scope, I would not put any assumption about
whether source of title matters off on OAI-PMH. OAI-PMH does not make
assumptions at this level about metadata transported using the Protocol.
("The nature of a resource, whether it is physical or digital, or whether it
is stored in the repository or is a constituent of another database, is
outside the scope of the OAI-PMH") This is how people got started thinking
of OAI-PMH as synonymous with DC.

This point is a bit orthogonal to main thrust of this thread, but I didn't
want to let Bill's earlier assertion pass without comment.

Tim Cole
University of Illinois at UC