ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Curved walls in recording studio

Language Laboratories and Archives <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:07:39 -0600

At 12:27 -0800 30/3/06, Mike Richter wrote:
>Language Laboratories and Archives wrote:
>>The Language Labs and Archives at the University of Chicago is
>>undergoing major changes. One of the results of the latest floor
>>plan is a recording studio (which can double as a class
>>room/conference room!) with a curved wall: let's see if I can draw
>>an approximation:
>
>I gather you are opting for a rectangular box design. That is by far
>the best choice for setting up standing waves. Unfortunately,
>standing waves are a very poor choice for recording or playing back
>audio. The problem is that bass response varies steeply with
>frequency and with position in the room. The effect is that for one
>note, position X is overwhelmed while Y is almost silent; for
>another tone, the strengths are reversed.

Thanx for the input. I inherited a rectangular box in my current
facility (and everything I know about doing live recordings has been
through osmosis). In general, people have been satisfied with the
results (we do have a curtain along one wall, and the walls are not
particularly reflexive) This will be at another site on campus and it
is being squeezed in where they have room. (All, or nearly all of the
recording will be voice.)

Barbara