ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Various "Odd" format restoration

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:13:22 -0500

At 10:36 AM 3/13/2006, Karl Miller wrote:
>I have often wondered about all of those tapes that
>still probably reside in the electronic music labs...I am reminded of all
>of the different formats we used over the years...8 channel pieces on 1/2
>inch tape, dbx encoded, etc. I wonder if anyone has been doing work with
>these artifacts.

Hi, Karl, well you ARE three years older than I <smile>.

Hopefully not too commercial, but to let you know that there is still
hope for these less-common formats.

I and others can transfer the formats that you mention. While they
are essentially orphan, people like Steve Puntolillo and I have the
capacity to digitize these tapes. Part of my Web site upgrade in
recent weeks includes an hierarchical list of a wide variety of media
formats and places that can still transfer them. It offers more
detail in the areas that I am working in, obviously.

I've spent some time with an excellent technical writer/editor who
ding'd me on little things so hopefully its navigation is even better
now: http://www.richardhess.com/tapetips and it's called "Formats &
Resources" in all the menus.

Orphan formats are a real problem and there are a wide number of
formats that were created to solve specific problems. Formats were
often changed to provide more capability for less money.

Steve is working on a history of multi-track formats, but, a general
summary can be found at the bottom of this page for multi-track analog tapes.
http://richardhess.com/tapetips/home/magnetic-media/magnetic-tapes/audio-tapes/
Two-track existed in 1943-1944 in Germany.

Cheers,

Richard

Tape Restoration Seminar:    MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.