ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Quarter-inch splicing tabs

Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:36:15 -0600

TEXT/PLAIN

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Scott Phillips wrote:

> I'm having much the same experience when interacting with the
> '30-something' engineering types. I'm 53. It does make me wonder if the
> older folks here on the list are having the same experiences.....
>
> Perhaps some of us should take up teaching.

While indeed some are and have been teaching, I sincerely believe there
remains a need for some unified approach to the teaching of audio
preservation. While I know the numbers are against us...estimates of what
needs to be reformatted versus any reasonable expectation for the
resources to address that backlog...from my perspective, one of the main
problems is ignorance of those empowered to make decisions regarding the
allocation of monies which could be used for such preservation efforts.

From my perspective, and personal experience, the situation is tragic. I
wonder if part of the blame does not reside with the focus of library and
archive education.

Indeed, many of you should be invited to teach on a regular basis. I
cannot help but wonder if it isn't just the survival of the old equipment
that's important, but the skills to do the work...assuming there will be a
younger generation interested in doing the work.

Karl