ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Question about Reel to Reel preservation

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:45:50 -0500

Hello, Steph,

Who suggested baking acetate tapes? That is not
needed and very dangerous. Why would you think
you have to bake them? If they are squealing or
not playing well, it is most likely
loss-of-lubricant and not sticky shed syndrome.

Not to be flip, but you need a good player and a
good CD recorder or a computer with a good sound input device.

Most of us get machines from eBay these days...or
if we're lucky we hear about something before it gets to ePay.

I have lots of information about doing this on my
Web site. Here is a quick guide to what is
there...and we're adding material almost daily.

http://richardhess.com/notes/2006/03/15/how-to-archive-recordings-a-quick-guide-to-resources-on-this-site/

At 01:44 PM 3/15/2006, Steph wrote:
>Hello,
>
>   I'm undertaking some research on how to
> preserve and what it would take to make new
> digital recordings from the original "
> reel-to-reel acetate recordings from the
> 1950s-60s, so we can have the recording accessible to research.
>
>   Does anyone have a reference for me to go to for steps?
>
>   Does anyone know the where I can get the
> machines for the baking process and to play the reels?
>
>   Thanks much in advance for any references and information you have.

>Yahoo! Travel
>  Find  great deals to the top 10 hottest destinations!

Tape Restoration Seminar:    MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.