ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Disc extractions

Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:10:16 -0800

[log in to unmask] wrote:
> What would you peoples opinion be of using disc extraction as the way to create .wav files for longterm preservation?  If I can verify that the .wav is a one-to-one clone of the original, with no audible artifacts, are there any other down-side considerations?  Jitter?

Please forgive my confusion - once again, my amateur status may be a
factor. But "extraction" from what? If from a CD or DVD, it was
presumably originally in analogue form and that is the signal you would
want to preserve. That process should go only to WAV (or AIFF or similar
format) with appropriate discographic information. Preserving that on
CD-DA with its sacrifice of ECC for recording time is a contradiction in
terms.

If you do mean extracting CD (or DVD - hereinafter ignored) to WAV, it's
a better way to back up than duplicating in CD-DA. For that purpose,
Exact Audio Copy is the tool of choice. But, again, the objective for
archiving is to go as close as possible to the source and the source is
very rarely CD-DA.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/