ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Copyright and Marston Records

steven c <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 17 Mar 2006 23:56:48 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Smolian" <[log in to unmask]>
> I don't have my tracing of these matters to hand at the present, but it is
> clear that Warner took back the Columbia Brunswick materials which it had
> let them use on a royalty basis.  Columbia defaulted on its royalties.  I
> don't believe they ever "belonged" to Columbia.

I've also heard that the cause was CBS' failure to issue a required number
of Brunswick records after they started using Columbia as their flagship
label? CBS also lost the use of the Vocalion name, which they replaced
with Okeh in early 1940...and Decca then gained the use of both names
in late 1942, as well as pre-ARC (I think) Brunswick and Vocalion material.

Steven C. Barr