ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: back to the future, forward to the past

David Seubert <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:24:55 -0800

The little green puzzle icon means you don't have QuickTime plugin
installed. You don't need QuickTime to download files, just to stream them.

The article brought our database (but not the actual website or
streaming radio which run on separate servers) down yesterday for a
while, but we moved half the load to a second server this morning are we
are back up again, though response time is not super quick. The database
(which is actually our library catalog) is running on a Sunfire V90
server with 8 dual-core processors and it was being overwhelmed (which
is partly a website architecture issue, not simply a speed issue). They
had to bring the database down yesterday because staff could no longer
check in and check out books because of the traffic!

Noah Pollaczek and I will be talking about the project in greater depth
at the conference in Seattle, including all the gory stories of
overloaded servers.

David Seubert
UCSB