ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Multitrack editors for Mac

Marcos Sueiro <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:33:12 -0500

Andy,

I am not sure why you need a multi-track editor, unless you consider stereo
multi-track. Of the ones you listed, only Tracktion and GarageBand can be
considered multi-track. My opinions:

Bias Deck LE ($100) - really dislike the interface, and I hear that
waveform representation is inadequate

DSP-Quattro ($150) - great program, although initial learning curve a bit
steep due to unusual shortcut keys

Mackie Tracktion 2 ($150) - similar to the Quattro in its unusualness, but
amazing value.

It will be hard to get decent audio interfaces for less than $300. If you
are not too picky, some of the M-Audio interfaces will work (e.g. M-Audio
FireWire Audiophile, <$200). As a package deal, it is hard to beat the
M-Box. Perhaps you can find the original m-box for cheap.

Marcos

--On Sunday, March 19, 2006 1:21 PM -0500 andy Kolovos
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I apologize for a somewhat off topic post.  The Vermont Folklife Center is
> poised to begin a Youth Documentary Radio project.  Our original intent
> was to use Pro Tools LE as our editing software (via Mbox2 hardware), but
> funding concerns (ample resources for administrative and staff expenses,
> little for actual gear) have made the purchase of 5 Mbox2 units (at around
> $450 each) unlikely.  Our radio producer works with Pro Tools LE pretty
> much exclusively--with an exception being Audacity, which we've used in
> several of our training seminars.  I'm hoping--with the wide range of
> audio experience out there on this list--to receive some suggestions for
> multitrack audio editing software up to the task of creating 5 to 10
> minute audio documentaries on the Mac platform that falls in the $75 to
> $300 price range.
>
> Audacity continues to be an option, but the stable version--and those of
> you who have worked with it probably agree--is wonderful for some stuff,
> but for complex editing tasks leaves much to be desired.  The current beta
> release holds promise, but as far as I know isn't really up to snuff yet.
>
> In my survey of this stuff, I've turned up the following contenders:
>
> Garage Band ($80), Bias Deck LE ($100), DSP-Quattro ($150) and Mackie
> Tracktion 2 ($150).
>
> Any insight into these programs for this application, and any thoughts on
> other options will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> andy
>
> --
> Andy Kolovos