ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Mystery singer -- who is this lady?

"Bewley, Nigel" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:44:28 -0000

I wondered if it was Kay Starr.  She recorded it in 1960 for Capitol
with an orchestra conducted by Van Alexander. Peggy Lee recorded C'est
Magnifique with Jack Marshall and His Orchestra also in 1960. The
original issue, in the States, was Capitol ST1290.  I agree that the
singer on the MP3 is not French, and probably American.

We Brits make a pretty good apple pie too....! (Well some of us,
anyway).

Greetings from a drizzly London.

Nigel
British Library Sound Archive

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alec McLane
Sent: 07 March 2006 14:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Mystery singer -- who is this lady?

Based on some experience with native French speakers, Tom, I think I can

say that this is not one. She has a better French intonation than many
American singers, and fakes a good French accent when singing in
English,
but her "la la la's" are as American as apple pie.

A quick check of WorldCat indicates that Peggy Lee has recorded this.
Any
chance this is her?

Alec McLane

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

The Library's St Pancras site is WiFI - enabled