ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

DAT Dddropouts

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:19:25 -0500

I've been asked to look at a DAT tape that drops out at different
spots on different players.

I experienced some of this with TDK DAT tape -- in fact it severely
clogged my first DAT machine and required me to open it and clean the
drum and guides. Not a fun thing.

I'm thinking this is the problem and I'm wondering things:

(1) Has anyone improved this problem by incubating/baking the DAT tape?
(2) Has anyone tried incubating/baking a DAT tape and made it worse?
(3) Who has a DAT cleaner (Peter?)?
(4) Who has a manually variable tracking DAT player?
(5) Who has an advanced automatic scan tracking (dynamic tracking)
DAT player? What models offered this?
(6) Anyone feel comfortable tackling this? I feel somewhat OK with
this, but wish I had more tools and experience.

Cheers,

Richard

Tape Restoration Seminar:    MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.