ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Help Purchasing a Microcassette

Brandon Burke <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:04:38 -0800

Not off-topic at all, Lou...and thanks as well to Richard for his always
valuable input.

In all honesty, however, and because of my position (archivist), I can only
dedicate so much time to transfers.  Yet I'm the only one here doing that
kind of work.

The important thing, as I see it, is an ability to make surrogate copies of
unique items within a reasonable amount of time.  As those of us in the
archival world already know, sometimes researchers expect access to
delicate and unique collection materials *immediately*.  And they don't
always understand why they can't hear [tape X] when it's right in front of
their face.  (Fair enough, that's our job.)

That said, I'm thinking of a micro-cassette unit in the $200-$500
range.  Other (or contradictory) opinions are welcome as well, of
course.  We all have something to learn from each post.

thanks again for the help everyone,
Brandon