ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Further thoughts on the new CLIR report. DVDs

"McCormick, Kathleen" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:25:22 -0500

We have "experimented" with the MAM "archival" gold DVD-R for storage
(creating both gold DVD-R and gold CD-R copies of a very limited number
of recordings). One of the MAJOR issues we ran into was problems with
playback and compatibility of the DVD-Rs with playback equipment.

Our "experiments" are by no means extensive or scientific and I have not
done much further research on the compatibility issues yet. Has anyone
else run into these issues with gold DVDs? Have there been any
discussions on the issue?

Katie McCormick

Reference Archivist and
Coordinator for the Oral History Program
Special Collections - J. Murrey Atkins Library
UNC Charlotte