ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Further thoughts on the new CLIR report. DVDs

Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:21:53 -0800

Richard L. Hess wrote:

> I offer four delivery methods at the moment:
>       MP3 or WAV downloads
>       Red Book Audio CD-Rs
>       Files on DVD-R (I have the gold on order)
>       Files on FW/USB drive
>
> Check copies are either download or Red Book CD-Rs.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard

You may want to offer download using lossless compression; my preference
is for APE ( http://www.monkeysaudio.com/ ) but there are others which
are cross-platform. I have verified that a compression/decompression
cycle restores the original WAV at the bit level. File size is reduced
typically by a factor of two (depending on frequency range of the
source, noise level and related factors) and a plugin allows WinAmp to
play APE as it does WAV, MP3 and other formats.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/