ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Zits cartoon strip, or, a personal rambling rant

David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:33:06 -0500

Karl Miller wrote:

  On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, George Brock-Nannestad wrote:

  > ----- nobody in power has really been happy with the masses' access to
  > knowledge, and the moment money talks (i.e. the libraries need a lot of
money
  > for expensive inner-city premises, staff, and repairs of the materials),
  > cheap fixes will be sought - and found. One fix is "oh, has nobody
requested
  > this for 25 years; well, then obviously nobody needs it".

  Oh, how true this is. I look at the treasures I have seen deleted from our
  public library and placed in the book sales for next to nothing. Sometimes
  I have "rescued" items in the hope of find a good home for them. I am
  reminded of a full set of Source Magazine I found at our Public Library
  sale. When I gave it to a friend (I had paid $10 for the full set)
  he was thrilled. Come to think of it, with single volumes
  selling for about $200 these days, I wonder if he might have sold them...

I did better than that one time....when the CBC was moving, the record
library put a whole
batch of BIRS Journals out by the door. Luckily it was a day I was there,
thank you.

  I am still burning from being forced into selling about 3,000 78s for $10
  at surplus (not $10 per disc but $10 for all of them)...and there were a
  few very good discs there.

  Karl

I keep turning up "get this out of here" collections...and taking them.
Maybe in the next
lifetime I'll actually get to sort through them.

dl