ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Further thoughts on the new CLIR report. DVDs

Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:00:18 -0800

Karl Miller wrote:

> As for error correction...I recall many CDROM providers stating that
> their product would be good for about 10 years...not much room for error
> correction. With ASCII text, a few errors can go a long way.

I'm afraid this one leaves me completely in the dark.

1. There are correlations between recording quality and initial error
rate and between recording quality and longevity. But longevity and ECC
have no direct correlation of which I'm aware.

2. Manufacturers of recordable media guesstimated lifetime in centuries,
not decades.

3. English text - ASCII, ANSI or otherwise represented - is highly
tolerant of error. Executable code is not. Audio is moderately tolerant
for most listeners in most cases.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/