ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Which U.S. Orchestra Recorded First?

Peter Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:45:09 -0500

Earlier, Steve Smolian said:

<George,  That was one of the reasons I liked this picture.
Incidentally, the horn player is Bruno Jaenicke who remained first when
the NY Philharmonic and the <NY Symphony merged and into the late '30s,
perhaps longer.  He's the soloist on the Brunswick Toscanini "Midsummer
Night's Dream" Nocturne.  Labatte is the <oboist (who made a solo disc
for U.S. Pathe), Simon Barere the clarinetist, Guidi the first fiddle
(he also recorded for Gennett), etc.

Steve,

Bruno Jaenicke was one of the all-time great horn players and he was
also featured on Mengelberg's Heldenleben, but there were two small
details that I did want to correct in your posting (I can't wait to read
the actual article - I have long treasured my fat Columbia NYPO Stransky
78s from the 19-teens and have always wondered what might predate them)
is that the oboist was Bruno Labate (quite a source for colorful
anecdotes) and and the flutist in the Philharmonic was Georges Barrere
(Simon Barere was noted both for his pianism and the unfortunate
circumstances of his demise). I know that this is somewhat off-topic for
this list, but the hornplayer's list that I belong to probably wouldn't
care about such ancient history, so I am posting it here.

Nits picked and I'm done,

Peter Hirsch

Quote from Time Magazine Archives:

Nov. 23, 1931
Adenoids and head colds affect few people so unpleasantly as they do
those who blow on wind instruments. At a Philharmonic concert in
Manhattan last week German Bruno Jaenicke, reputed the world's greatest
French horn player, huffed, puffed & snuffed valiantly through the first
two movements of the Concerto which Richard Strauss wrote for his
horn-playing father. Then, exhausted, Horn-Player Jaenicke left the
stage. Conductor Erich Kleiber strode after him, but no amount of
persuasion would return Bruno Jaenicke to his snuffling misery. An
unprecedented announcement was made: the Philharmonic was unable to
finish a number it had started.