ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: The waltz (was Which U.S. orchestra recorded first and Arthur Fiedler)

Roger and Allison Kulp <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Mar 2006 06:24:59 -0800

I like Clemens Krauss.

Steven Smolian <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  Victor Herbert makes a couple of appearances in Part 2 of the article.

I consider the Herbert's Fledermaus such an important document that I
ventured to compare it with other performances with the implied or actual
imprimatur of the Strauss family tradition.  It's not part of the article
but gives the Herbert reading extra weight in a tradition yet to truly make
its way from the dance floor into symphonic movements in three written
contemporaneously with the Viennese waltz craze, especially Brahms.

Steve Smolian