ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: The waltz (was Which U.S. orchestra recorded first and Arthur Fiedler)

Roger and Allison Kulp <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:52:34 -0800

By this are you referring to the conductorless orchestras of old ?
Steven Smolian <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  Without getting too deeply into one conductor vs another, I think it
essential that we look back to how the music was originally performed to
best understand how it infused the rest of the music of its time.
Recordings, tempered by an understanding of the background of those
performing on them, can help.  After all, true rhythm is seldom accurately
reflected in music notation.

In addition, much is taken for granted.  Has anyone seen sheet music for
rock that has a hard accent over the second beat?

Steve Smolian