ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Zits cartoon strip (trying to get back to matters archival)

Alec McLane <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Mar 2006 14:55:43 -0500

It might have been this op-ed piece from the NY Times:

OPINION   | March 26, 2006
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/26/opinion/26tenner.html?ex=1144213200&en=0a1bc989fbb245c0&ei=5070&emc=eta1>Op-Ed
Contributor:  Searching for Dummies
By EDWARD TENNER
Are search engines making today's students dumber?

Alec McLane

At 09:59 AM 3/29/2006, Lou Judson wrote:
>I'm sorry I did not save a link to something I read recently about some
>kind of test or survey that indicated kids who use the internet can only
>find things with search engines, not with boook and brains... I do not
>assume this meant discrimination, rather use of resources if not organized
>by algorithms. If I find it I'll post it, if not then this is just one of
>those "I read it on the net" messages...
>
>Lou Judson  Intuitive Audio
>415-883-2689
>
>On Mar 29, 2006, at 5:56 AM, Karl Miller wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Lou Judson wrote:
>>
>>>On the other hand, kids these days are able to search but barely to
>>>reason...
>>
>>I assume you mean the ability to discriminate? How does one tell the good
>>from the bad and how do you tell what is "real" and what is not in the
>>digital world.

Alec McLane
Scores & Recordings/
  World Music Archives       Phone: (860) 685-3899
Olin Library                       Fax: (860) 685-2661
Wesleyan University          mailto:[log in to unmask]
Middletown, CT  06459       http://www.wesleyan.edu/libr/srhome/srdir.htm