ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Zits cartoon strip (trying to get back to matters archival)

Lou Judson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:20:07 -0800

All extremely valid points, and yes that is the article - even it may
not be very accurate, scintifically speaking!

<L>

Lou Judson  Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689

On Mar 29, 2006, at 2:48 PM, Tom Fine wrote:

> See also Britannica's point by point response to the Nature article
> that suggested Whacky-Packia is as useful/truthful as Britannica
> (www.britannica.com).
>
> Search engines are just as bad as Whacky-Packia in perpetuating the
> Internet as echo chamber for rumors, half-truths and out-of-contexts.
> Most search engines return results based on being paid to favor some
> pages over others (do some digging and you'll find that just about all
> of them have this practice -- a "favored return" or something like
> that). And since kids are not being taught to discriminate about
> sources and context, to them all results are equally valid. Plus, if
> one is searching for very specific information, even after years of
> tuning search engines, you better know some very specific keywords or
> you will spend hours wading through garbage.
>
> Now, I'm no Luddite (I prefer "traditionalist ;) ) but I think one
> needs to approach real research on the Internet, as opposed to
> leisurely pursuit of curiosity, with great care and caution. And, as I
> spent a good hour explaining to my niece recently, just because 10
> pages say the same wrong thing doesn't mean it will ever be right.
>
> -- Tom Fine
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Alec McLane" <[log in to unmask]>

>>> from the bad and how do you tell what is "real" and what is not in