ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: scotch 227

Steven Smolian <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:46:45 -0500

This is 1.0 mil tape rather tha 1.5 mil.

As to your squeal, I suggest baking 1 mil longer than 1.5 mil of the same
stock.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bridavsky, Michael G" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 11:27 AM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] scotch 227

Hello,
I've been reading the list for while and appreciate the information and
knowledge that is shared here, and I have a question about a particular
brand/stock of tape.

Most of our recordings made in the mid-late 80's and easrly 90's was
recorded to Scotch 226. It's all pretty sticky, but bakes well. I have
just encountered a single reel of Scotch 227. It seems to be a thinner
tape than the 226, ad Im assuming it was an economy version of 226. It
is also sticky, however it does not respond to baking. While the amount
of deposit left on the heads and guides is minimal, and the tape passes
through the transport without slowing, the squeal and distortion is
audible in the transfer.

Does anyone have any experience with this tape? Any suggestions or other
treatments that might get it to run smoothly?

Thanks
mike

Michael Bridavsky
Audio Engineer