ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: scotch 227

Marie O'Connell <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:00:43 -0600

Hi Michael

If you would like a walk-through of the isopropyl method using Q-Sticks,
feel free to call me.  Sorry, I can't build you one of my machines and send
it to you ;-)  Remember, you really need to be wearing a special mask as the
fumes from iso are not a good thing to breath in.

Cheers

Marie O'Connell
Sound Archivist/Audio Engineer/Sound Consultant
The Center For Oral History & Cultural Heritage
The University Of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive #5175
Hattiesburg, MS, 39401-406
Ph: 601-266-6514
Fax: 601-266-6217

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bridavsky, Michael G
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 12:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] scotch 227

I am also using a Fisher Scientific incubator oven. The tape has been
baked three times in the past 2 weeks at 133 F for 9 hrs each time with
no noticeable improvement.

I am considering let it sit for a month or so, and rebaking it for a
longer period of time as suggested.

If that doesn't work I will try to use isopropyl alchohol which
admittedly makes me a little nervous...

Ive baked probably close to 30-40 reels of 226 and they have all played
back fine after the first 9 hr bake. I wonder why the 227 is being so
stubborn.

Thanks for your help!
mike

Michael Bridavsky