ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: The waltz (was Which U.S. orchestra recorded first and Arthur ...

Don Tait <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:24:52 EST

  This has less to do with recording dates or Arthur Fiedler, but it does
relate to Karl's post about how, when he issued transfers of Scriabin's rolls of
his own music, one critic complained about the liberties Scriabin took.

  I recall a critic who reviewed a reissue (perhaps on Odyssey) of Poulenc's
Columbia LPs of his piano music. The critic complained that Poulenc used "too
much pedal." As with Scriabin, he wrote it.

  It makes one think that if we had recordings of Mozart, Beethoven, Liszt,
or Brahms playing their piano music and they didn't follow the score today's
critic has, he or she might criticize them too.

  There's a big lesson in this on several levels.

  Don Tait