ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Quarter-inch splicing tabs

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:38:59 -0500

In some respects, I think we can credit Jack Mullin as the earliest
craft editor, working with scissors to edit Bing Crosby and Burl Ives
shows in 1947 on his Magnetophon transports with his own electronics.

And yes, you can hear some of them.

Were the Columbia pitch changes due to start-of-reel/end-of-reel
speed changes or what?

The worst edit I ever did was when we had the organ blower on for the
main take and then we did a pickup at the end and someone had turned
the organ blower off....

Cheers,

Richard

At 10:18 PM 3/10/2006, David Lennick wrote:
>And Tom gets A+. Joel Tall did the editing on "I Can Hear it Now",
>but his credit may have appeared
>only on the 78 version. I know I saw it somewhere.
>
>I still flinch every time I hear a bad edit on a disc from an early
>tape master, and there were lots of
>them. Tony Bennett's "Sing You Sinners" (first recording, 1950) has
>a real stinker about 15 seconds in.
>Pee Wee Hunt's "Wabash Blues" has one that I swear drops a beat
>(although that's a blessing..anything
>that shortens any of their Capitols is a step in the right
>direction). Then there's Leroy Anderson's
>"Fiddle Faddle" on the Decca 78 and 45, with a splice so bad it
>catches in the gate and wows the music
>at that point. Then there are all those Columbia edits where the
>music drops a half tone....aaaargh!
>
>dl
>
>Tom Fine wrote:
>
> > It was Joel Tall. If I remember the story correctly, he was a CBS
> producer or editor in the early
> > days of tape. He invented a better way to splice tapes than a
> wooden block with markings on it. See
> > patent # 2599667.
> >
> > The best razor-man I ever saw was a radio commercial guy who's
> now retired. He would keep notes on
> > the details of ever word of every take, and his ear was trained
> so that he could hear during a take
> > THAT'S IT for one word out of 20 or 100 or more. He could splice
> together syllables into words. One
> > 30-second spot I saw him put together (with a not so great v/o
> guy) had over a hundred splices. It
> > sounded perfect, like the guy just nailed the take and walked
> away. My friend knew better and has
> > the gray hair to prove it. Like many older guys, he's not that
> comfortable on a computer, so I
> > helped him out with something he was doing for another friend,
> using a professional voice-over guy,
> > a couple of years ago. It took us a full day to record and edit
> the bit. His comment was, it might
> > have gone slightly faster with a blade -- which I chalk up as a
> credit to his efficiency since we
> > were not wasting time and Soundforge was very cooperative that
> day. He admitted it's more intuitive
> > to see a waveform on the screen and be able to drop markers and
> cut and paste stuff (also easier to
> > keep track of edit windows than 6-inch bits of tape).
> >
> > -- Tom Fine

Tape Restoration Seminar:    MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.