ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Quarter-inch splicing tabs

Marie Azile O'Connell <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 11 Mar 2006 09:12:38 -0600

There was something comforting about editing the 'old' way.  I used to love
moving both reels back and forth to get the exact position, mark it, cut and
splice, and have it as perfect as can be.  But, I love a challenge!  The
learning curve was digital, and it did take longer, and at times I would
despair!  But, 'seeing' the waveform was so cool, and after a while that came
easy to do.  I almost feel like I am cheating.  Progress......

Cheers

Marie

Quoting Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>:

> It was Joel Tall. If I remember the story correctly, he was a CBS producer or
> editor in the early
> days of tape. He invented a better way to splice tapes than a wooden block
> with markings on it. See
> patent # 2599667.
>
> The best razor-man I ever saw was a radio commercial guy who's now retired.
> He would keep notes on
> the details of ever word of every take, and his ear was trained so that he
> could hear during a take
> THAT'S IT for one word out of 20 or 100 or more. He could splice together
> syllables into words. One
> 30-second spot I saw him put together (with a not so great v/o guy) had over
> a hundred splices. It
> sounded perfect, like the guy just nailed the take and walked away. My friend
> knew better and has
> the gray hair to prove it. Like many older guys, he's not that comfortable on
> a computer, so I
> helped him out with something he was doing for another friend, using a
> professional voice-over guy,
> a couple of years ago. It took us a full day to record and edit the bit. His
> comment was, it might
> have gone slightly faster with a blade -- which I chalk up as a credit to his
> efficiency since we
> were not wasting time and Soundforge was very cooperative that day. He
> admitted it's more intuitive
> to see a waveform on the screen and be able to drop markers and cut and paste
> stuff (also easier to
> keep track of edit windows than 6-inch bits of tape).
>
> -- Tom Fine

Marie O'Connell
Sound Archivist/Sound Engineer/Sound Consultant
Center for Oral History & Cultural Heritage
University of Southern Mississippi
Phone: 601-266-6514
Mobile: 601-329-6911