ARSCLIST  March 2006

ARSCLIST March 2006

Re: Laser Turntable and Damaged Vinyl

Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:52:21 -0800

Charles Lawson wrote:

> A little while back, someone on this list asked whether playing a damaged
> vinyl disc on a laser turntable might yield improved results over straight
> stylus playback.  I chimed in that, yes, the LT can often make a damaged
> disc sound substantially better by virtue of reading a less damaged part
> of the groove wall.  A couple of you challenged me (privately) to provide
> an actual audio demonstration to prove my assertion, so I took some time
> to assemble a short MP3 today that shows fairly dramatically how the laser
> pickup can improve matters with a damaged disc.  The demo file comprises
> three brief parts: stylus playback (using a well-known, well-regarded
> stylus/cartridge/turntable combination--with a very low-time stylus that
> is properly set up), laser playback of the same material and then a
> full-restoration of the original material (using a variety of software
> tools) based on the laser pickup.  The MP3 is less than 1 MB in size and
> I'll be happy to email it to anyone who'd like it.

The demonstration is most effective and I thank you for it. Amateur that
I am, I will venture some comments.

The sound with the conventional stylus is worse than I have ever
encountered except when the wrong stylus was used. I believe I've
mentioned before that some 1950s issues on Odeon and other European EMI
labels require an elliptical 78-rpm stylus. With a conical stylus made
for LPs (0.7 mil, IIRC) and a filthy, scratched disc, the sound is
similar to that sample.

The raw sound with the laser pickup is a revelation, as promised. The
sound has no evidence of the grundge in the groove and it appears that
an optimum stylus geometry has been found as well. The demo proves the case.

As for the processed audio from the laser pickup, it shows that someone
<G> knows how to clean up a decent capture. From intolerable to
enjoyable in three easy demonstrations.

I urge everyone concerned with preserving LPs to listen - and to start
collecting spare change for such a system.

I will happily host the file on a WWW page (no ads, no cookies) if desired.

Thank you, Charles.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/