ARSCLIST April 2006

Fw: [78-l] British copyright laws

steven c <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:12:31 -0400

text/plain

Forwarded for comment...a very well-reasoned and well-written opposition
to the British attempt to import the US "eternal copyright" on sound
recordings...

Steven C. Barr

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr. Rainer E. Lotz c/o Birgit Lotz Verlag"
To: "78-L" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 4:22 AM
Subject: [78-l] British copyright laws

> [...]
> history for.
>
> World War Two - Well, we'd only have to wait till 2035-2041 to start a
> reissue programme of our accumulated Second World War recordings. Oh,
> that's a shame - I probably won't be here then! And who knows where my
> records will be - many collections have wound up in skips, smashed to
> smithereens.
>

> A RETROSPECTIVE 95 YEARS - NO!
>
> This should not just be about the interests of a few big companies and a
> few big stars. They are business concerns, and have no interest in
> reissuing loss-making old recordings just because they are of historical
> and social significance. This should be about our heritage and our
> ability to keep it alive and maintain access to it. It should be about
> taking a responsible attitude to preserving important historical
> recordings. With that as a consideration, there can be no doubt at all
> that a retrospective 95 years (effectively 96 years, as recordings would
> not come out of copyright until the end of the 95th year, i e the start
> of the 96th year) is far, far too long.
>
> 95 years retrospectively take us perilously close to the start of
> commercial recording around 1898. As most pre-1904 recordings remain
> undiscovered, it effectively means that we will be able to reissue just
> what we have rescued from the 6 years of recordings issued between
> 1904-1910, and a smattering from the years before. The rest will
> disappear behind the copyright barrier. Records were expensive, often
> poorly distributed and were extremely fragile. They have been through
> two World Wars, home removals, one hundred years of turmoil. We have a
> precarious hold on what has survived. There must be a point where these
> recordings pass from merchandise to historical documents. Our work is
> akin to that of archaeologists, unearthing the world portrayed in these
> early recordings. Surely their finds would not be suppressed for
> decades, with further chance of damage and even loss. 95 years would
> severely shackle our efforts. It is far too long.
>

> MAKE YOUR VIEWS KNOWN
>
> If you feel this is important, please email Andrew Gowers before April
> 21 and make your feelings known. Future generations of students, social
> historians and artiste's relatives, will be the losers if a
> retrospective 95 year
>
> Our right, maybe even our duty, to preserve the past for future
> generations is at stake here.
>
> Yours truly,
>
> Tony Barker
>

> IF YOU FEEL STRONGLY ABOUT THIS MATTER, PLEASE EMAIL YOUR VIEWS TO
> ANDREW GOWERS BEFORE APRIL 2.
>
> His email address is below.
>
> Email: [log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>
> Here are some links to some relevant sites There are more - you will
> find them by entering -
>
> andrew gowers copyright
>
>  into google.
>
> Some of the sites dealing with this matter are below

<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/independent_reviews/gowers_review_intellectual_property/gowersreview_index.cfm

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:59hN9xfpoPgJ:www.law.ed.ac.uk/ahrb/script-ed/vol3-1/jg-editorial.asp+andrew+gowers+copyright+&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=9

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:_06F7gKXCGUJ:gowers.openrightsgroup.org/%3Fp%3D13+andrew+gowers+copyright+&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=10