ARSCLIST April 2006

Vinyl use and access policies

Lisa Colaianne <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:16:33 -0400

Please excuse the newbie posting -- I hope I don't come off as too
uninformed. I'm a grad student at the University of Maryland working on a
field study at the Maryland Historical Society. I'm working with a
collection of about 2,500 gospel records, most of which are vinyl LPs.
I've been tasked with determining industry standards and making
suggestions for processing the collection.

This list and many of your websites have been very helpful in tracking
down related readings. My subsequent intention is to recommend direct use
of the LPs handled only by staff, with digitization done on an as needed
basis (instead of digitizing the entire collection in advance). What I
would really like to know is how similar collections are providing access
to researchers and the equipment in use. I'm particularly interested in
access policies (number of uses, handling procedure), when and why you
digitize, and any and all equipment in use including playback, listening
stations, and digitization (and perhaps some links to dealers?).

Thanks very much in advance,
Lisa Colaianne
UofM student