ARSCLIST April 2006

Re: New U.S. Copyright Laws

Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:51:45 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, JJJJ wrote:

> Yes, Edison National Historic Site does have the original donation paperwork from
1956-57 documenting the gifts of the Edison Laboratory and its contents from the
McGraw-Edison company to the National Park Service. We searched through it all
recently, but could find no mention of copyright in relation to Edison phonograph
records. I've heard it said many times that the copyright on Edison recordings
turned to public domain with the gift of the laboratory. But I've never been able
to tie down the source of this idea or verify its accuracy.

> -Jerry Fabris, ENHS

For me, it seems like the courts bring such matters to light, I guess the
question is, when these things have been issued, has anyone sued? It would
seem to me that the National Parks Service would have the only claim...so,
is the Parks Service going to sue...but then I guess if I ask, the
question will be passed up the line and then...what's the expression about letting
sleeping dogs...

Karl