ARSCLIST April 2006

Re: Windows media player 9

Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 2 Apr 2006 10:12:36 -0700

Angie Dickinson Mickle wrote:
> Nice trick, Tom.  AFAIK, .pls is a Real Player extension which is just
> as intrusive a program as iTunes.  I don't use either, but I'm told it
> is not iTunes itself that invades the system.  It is QuickTime, which
> these days has been the bane of the internet.  Be prepared to have it
> take over mp3 association within your browser.  And good luck changing it.
>
> There are *many* players out there that do a great job without taking
> control.  Winamp is still a very good choice.  I use AudioActive
> www.audioactive.com for mp3 playback.  Their StreamPlayer is not an easy
> thing to use, but man, does it sound nice.  Both are simple players
> without the bells and whistles.  I don't need all that, I just want to
> hear the file/stream.  There is no need to use what came loaded on the
> machine.  There are very good alternatives out there.  Most are free.
> All you have to do is look.

Those on the PC who have problems with QT and/or RealPlayer would do
well to check out the freeware QTAlternative and RealAlternative. There
are limitations, particularly with compound RealPlayer redirection, but
these addins to the excellent Media Player Classic are admirable in many
respects. (MPC comes with either of the addins - rather backward, but
given the nature of open-source, not surprising.)

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/