ARSCLIST  May 2006

ARSCLIST May 2006

Re: Storing digital media

Steven Smolian <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 May 2006 14:52:00 -0400

Beware of stand-alone drives.  A while back this list discussed issues
arising from congealing or evaporating lubrication, I forget which.  A
fellow with manufacturing experience for these posted a full and much
clearer explanation. His conclusion: don't use them for long term
applications.

MAM gold discs are at least one branch of the tree of longer data life.
While the rest is being sorted out, I suggest using these, which can be
uploaded at some later date if it seems prudent.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christina Hostetter" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 2:17 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Storing digital media

Good Afternoon.  I am in the middle of a debate on what is the best way
to store large quantities of digital media (audio, video, and images).
I have always been under the impression that for such large quantities
of information and such large files a dedicated server (or servers) is
the best way to go as opposed to external hard drives or CD-ROM.

Our IT manager had this to say: Our servers have only lasted about 5
years before requiring replacement.  I wonder what makes you think
servers are appropriate for storing large amounts of data?

He is suggesting that we use external hard drives or CD-ROM to store our
media.  I think it would be much easier to store everything on one or
more servers and have the files accessible to anyone rather than having
to come to me all the time to pull materials in the archives.  Plus, you
could migrate that information to a new server when the old one is no
longer working.

Any thoughts?  I always thought servers that store only digital files
last longer than 5 years.

Christina J. Hostetter

Archivist

National Press Club Archives