EDUCAT June 2006

Re: Library of Congress User Survey

Heidi Hoerman <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:06:29 -0700

Although this survey is aimed at those who use LC for its collections, I answered this so that my heavy use of the catalogs, authority files, and MARC pages for teaching would be recorded.  I also made a point of the difficulty I have providing access to ClasWeb and Cataloger's Desktop to my students since no "onsite" licensing will work for us.

  Maybe this will be a way for us to get LC to recognize that to us faculty they are a publisher who is not making it possible for us to push their products to our students.

  All I want is "desk copy" access for me and semester long access for my registered students who are not doing their studying in our building -- heck some of our out-of-state cohort folks have never been in SC!  Why is this so difficult for CDS to accommodate?  We faculty are their best advertisers!

  Heidi

Chad Abel-Kops <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Dear All,

The Library of Congress wants to gain a better understanding of who its patrons are, what services they use, and the quality and value of those services. If you are a user of the Library of Congress, either on site or via the Web, we invite you to take a few minutes to give us your feedback using the online survey at:

http://osincsurvey.com/run/osl03loc

This user survey is being conducted by Outsell, Inc. on behalf of the Library. All responses will be kept confidential. Only grouped data will be reported; your responses will not be singled out in the analysis. Thank you very much for using the Library of Congress.

CHAD ABEL-KOPS

Chad P. Abel-Kops
Senior Cataloger
Library of Congress
Serial Record Division
Washington DC 20540-4160
202-707-6384 (phone)
[log in to unmask] (e-mail)

HEIDI LEE HOERMAN
SCHOOL OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA, COLUMBIA, SC 29205
PHONE: (803) 777-0485, (800) 277-2035 FAX: (803) 777-7938
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] (preferred)
           [log in to unmask] (second choice)
New (under contruction) URL: www.heidihoerman.com
Old (soon to be wholly replaced) URL: http://www.libsci.sc.edu/hoerman/basepage.htm