ARSCLIST  July 2006

ARSCLIST July 2006

Re: Community Radio

Roger and Allison Kulp <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:34:12 -0700

I would loooove to !!!
  However,most community radio stations,have an established group of on air "talent", who are loath to give up thier time slots.As I said;they have thier own little onair fiefdoms,and don't take kindly to intruding interlopers.They are embedded,and will be until they drop dead.This is even true of overnight freeform,where you have a revolving group of people,who have thier own night,and refuse to give it up.Have I tried to volunteer ? Yes. Am I bitter about it ? YOU BET I AM !!!
    Which is why I say screw it,and want to go on the web.
       Roger Kulp
Jim Baldwin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Is there
> anyone else on this list who volunteers on community radio?

I live in NH and one day in '04 I was in a store in Brattleboro, VT
and heard jazz from a radio. It grabbed my attention and I learned that
the music was coming from their local community radio station, rfb
(Radio Free Brattleboro.) This was unlicensed and had years of a
running battle with the FCC.

I got involved with the group and in the fall I was on the air two hours a
week playing my 1920s dance music and jazz along with comedy and
nostalgia. What a wonderful experience until the FCC closed the
operation in June, '05.

I then transferred my show up the river to Bellows Falls, VT where a
group had a license and started broadcasting in June, '05. We just
celebrated our first year. We are at www.wool.fm on the internet. My
show is called "jimmiejazz" airing 1-3 PM Thursdays, Eastern. This
week I'm playing the complete Five Birmingham Babies who started
recording in July, 1924.

The internet is such an amazing thing. I've received mail from Australia,
Germany and Holland.

Some of my archived shows are at www.dgarrick.com . The site also
links to Rich Conaty's excellent programming.

Jim Baldwin

See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com.  Check it out.