The Society of American Archivists is hosting a full day workshop "An
Introduction to Audio Archives Management", July 30th in Washington DC.
This is at the beginning of their Annual Conference, held jointly this
year with CoSA and NAGARA.
This workshop is appropriate for anyone:
- who has archives experience who wishes to know more about audio
- who has audio experience and is interested to learn about archives
management for audio
- interested gaining hands-on experience with common audio media
- interested in our field and seeking a first experience
This workshop is open to both SAA members and non-member, whether or
not you are attending the conference. [Personally I recommend members
of this list consider both SAA membership and attending this
conference.] A CD-ROM of the materials used in the workshop will be
distributed to attendees. Attendance is limited to 40.
For more information:
If you’re responsible for the care or management of audio collections,
want to know more about machine-readable audio materials, or build on
basic knowledge and take advantage of the opportunity to learn in a
hands-on “lab” –this workshop is for you! From identification of
formats and an understanding of care issues through digitization and
disaster planning, this one-day workshop prepares collections managers
for basic curatorial assessment of sound recordings. Brought to you by
two audio archives veterans with decades of experience, this
introductory workshop on the care and handling of audio materials
typically found in archives and libraries is what you’re looking for to
Upon completing this workshop, you’ll have:
• Basic knowledge of the most common audio formats in archives;
• Understanding of the most common preservation issues with those
• Know-how to handle common formats safely and to do basic playback
for assessment and identification;
• Information on reformatting options and standards, including storage
• Hands-on experience handling these formats; and
• An introduction to disaster planning.
Who should attend? Collections managers/archivists, special collections
librarians, music librarians, oral historians, those with little or no
prior experience with audio materials.
Attendance is limited to 40.
Alan F Lewis
Independent Consultant in Audiovisual Archives
George Blood (Bio)
Safe Sound Archive
Hotel and Travel Information:
The Hilton Washington (1919 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Washington, DC
20009) will serve as the DC 2006 Joint Annual Meeting Headquarters
Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email
and IM. All on demand. Always Free.