ARSCLIST  July 2006

ARSCLIST July 2006

Re: Community Radio

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Jul 2006 07:02:25 -0400

I wasn't talking about internet-only at all. I was talking about using modern technology to make
equipment investment minimal.

Net-only is very easy, just do a podcast. But, as I've said before, beware of ASCAP/BMI rules. And,
even if you load up a podcast file of 192K MP3 (which becomes a rather large file when you get up to
30-60 minutes), the quality is still sub-par from a good-quality FM broadcast (but better than
over-processed headache inducing garbage found on most FM frequencies in most places today).

The thing that interested me about community radio is that it would be nice to have a real-deal
FM-quality signal (albeit low power with limited range) with something aside from what Evergreen and
Clearchannel decide is good content. I'd also love to open it up to some of the local high school
kids and older folks who are into music -- see if exposure to different tastes and styles broadens
everyone involved.

But, given the PITA factor, I'll just revert back to my norm -- staying happy with 1000+ LPs,
hundreds of tapes and several thousand CD's. Music is becoming less and less a shared experience
anyway, with the iPod revolution and decline of music-based radio. Back in high school, many years
ago, I tried to gin up interest for a school radio station to go over the cable TV system (we
already had a TV studio, so it wouldn't be a big deal to piggyback onto that infrastructure). Could
not get enough commitments to make it feasible, and got outright hostility from the union AV and
library staff. Oh well. At that time, my friend, who was in a serious Deadhead phase, told me,
"dude, I feel your pain a little but I gotta tell ya -- the best radio station in the world is your
own turntable, man." Since this guy introduced me to MANY still-loved musicians and music genres, I
listened to his words even if we looked like a 60's refugee and was a bit bleary-eyed (he now works
for the UN, so go figure). He was right, of course.

Somewhat relevant to all of this, and worth reading, is Chris Anderson's "The Long Tail". It started
with this article:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.10/tail.html
and was expanded to a book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401302378/sr=8-1/qid=1152787909/tomslinx
and Anderson has a related blog:
http://www.thelongtail.com/

I don't buy it all, hook line and sinker, but there are a lot of interesting facts and predictions.
Bottom line is, there might be hope for our oft lament: languishing out of print copyrighted
commercial music. Under the Long Tail theory, the Big Music mega-glomerates will wake up to the fact
that there is demand for this stuff, though small compared to their "mainstream" offerings, and will
make it available in some cheap/efficient manner (ie iTunes). As I've said numerous times, my fear
is that the quality level will be leagues worse than the master media and even worse than the
original release media.

Anyway, a little veered from the Community Radio topic, but it started there! ;)

-- Tom Fine