For those interested in OpenDocument Format ...
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:30:01 -0400
From: Bruce D'Arcus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply-To: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [dev-biblio] ODF requirements
FYI, the ODF metadata SC met today to discuss how we'll move forward
with the requirements document. We're going to start by discussing in
detail two of what we think are the most difficult and representative
use cases we need to solve. The first of these will be bibliographies
I am therefore going to post my tentative thoughts here in case
anyone has any comments.
- bibliographic source metadata must (optionally) be stored as a
single file apart from the content file, in the file wrapper, for
easy extraction, processing, etc.
- bibliographic resources must be identified with uris, which are
used to link citation with source
- data file must be registered through the manifest as a
bibliographic data source
- metadata must be extensible so that it can evolve to meet changing
community needs independent of ODF, and different potential database
applications can transport their own specific extension data without
need for any specific support from ODF
- data model needs to account for the relational character of
bibliographic metadata, such that authors, publishers, and so forth
can be treated as full resources, with their own set of properties
- must be able to type resource descriptions (book, article, etc.)
- given that source records are likely to be created by third-party
applications, the format should be clear and easy to read and write
with standard XML tools
The already approved citation field scheduled for ODF 1.2 might be
slightly changed to fit better with this more general approach. This
has no effect on backward compatibility, of course.
- optional namespaced content must be preserved
- at minimum, must support display of formatted citation field
content; more advanced support would include editing the citation
field. Processing of formatted citation fields and bibliographies and
editing of source data would be a perfect third-party opportunity.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [log in to unmask]
For additional commands, e-mail: [log in to unmask]