The complication may reside with these MODS records were
harvested via OAI.
The data I used already are in our OAI server. Therefore, I am
not able to provide further information as how the original
data was constructed. The source data I had to work with was
what I had sent you earlier in a separate email.
It is not a problem for me to recode the set since this
was noted. Thank you for your help.
|Special Projects & Collections Team
|Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library
|University of Michigan
|920 North University
|Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1205
|Phone: 734.936.2401 FAX: 734.615.9788
|E-mail: [log in to unmask]
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Rebecca S. Guenther wrote:
> The reason this would happen is that MODS doesn't exactly have the same
> notion of "main entry" as MARC does (which came from cataloging rules).
> MODS tries to be cataloging rule independent and puts all names of
> creators/contributors in <name>; that way you aren't forced to choose a
> "main entry". You can designate the specific roles using <role> with
> <name> to disambiguate their contributions. If you look at the MODS to
> MARC mapping it says that if the <name> has a role of "creator" or "cre"
> then it goes to 100, but if not it goes to 700. Then if the title is
> type=uniform and there is a name with role=creator or cre, then it goes to
> 240. If not, it goes to 130.
> I'd have to see your source record, i.e. the MODS, to explain, but I
> suspect that you did not have a role=creator with name.
> This poses a bit of a dilemma in going back and forth between MODS and
> MARC when you want to be cataloging rule independent but you don't want to
> lose data. It's one reason why MODS and MARC aren't totally
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Jackie Shieh wrote:
>> I have just begun working on some conversion
>> from MODS to MARC21. I have some questions for
>> the list if I may:
>> 1) the mapping of uniform title (130/240):
>> I used MODS2MARC21slim.xsl* to convert MODS to
>> MARCXML/slim. Somehow, the personal name got
>> translated into 700, thus, the uniform title
>> got mapped to 130 instead of 240.
>> How does one need to do in the xsl in order to
>> prevent that from happening