Help for EAD Archives

EAD Archives

EAD@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

EAD Home

EAD  November 2006

EAD November 2006

Re: adjusting dsc stylesheets for spacing, TOC links, etc.

John Harrison <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Nov 2006 12:15:34 +0000

> To make the TOC sidebar separate is possible -- you'd do it using
> frames.  If the toc sidebar and the body of the inventory are in
> separate frames, scrolling in one frame does not affect the other frame.
>  I haven't done this but I'm sure there's some helpful soul on the list
> who has :)

Yes, you can do it using frames - the following is an example from the
Archives Hub (UK):

http://www.archiveshub.ac.uk/eadhtml/DISTRIB-ead-liverpool/frames/3.html

However for wider accessibility (e.g. access for people using screen-
readers etc.) it's better to include the ToC in the same HTML, and use
CSS for the layout. An example from the W3C:

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#alt-frames

The only down side is that you're at the mercy of different web-
browsers' support for CSS.

I've used this approach while developing a newer version of the software
that supports the Archives Hub and it seems to work really nicely in
Firefox, not so great in Microsoft IE6 (maybe better with IE7 - I
haven't tried yet):

http://sca.lib.liv.ac.uk/ead/html/gb141unigradsa-c-1.shtml

HTH
John

--
John Harrison

Special Collections and Archives
University of Liverpool Library
Chatham Street, PO Box 123, Liverpool, L693DA
e: [log in to unmask]
w: sca.lib.liv.ac.uk
t: 0151 7943142
f: 0151 7942681