ARSCLIST  December 2006

ARSCLIST December 2006

Stylus cleaners + Counter weights

"RL C PayPal`" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Dec 2006 06:54:37 -0500

Hey...I'm a bit of a lurker, but I haven't been around to keep up on
things for a couple weeks, so forgive me if this is already covered.  I
bought some new needles recently and ran into a couple small problems
while I was replacing them and trying to recalibrate things.

While changing the needles for my TT I noticed there was a fair amount of
gunk build up and I figured I should probably get one of those stylus
cleaning kits.  It seems there are a couple decent products, but I'm
unsure on which would be more effective.  The Discwasher SC2 seems to
have a small velvet or felt pad that you gently drag the stylus across
the short nap after putting the cleaner on the needle and/or pad.  The
Stanton SC4 has a longer brush that looks like toothbrush bristles, so I
assume you put the cleaner on the stylus and then sweep the brush around
the needle or poke at it.  Having never used either I can not really
judge which would be most effective in cleaning without damaging the
stylus and would appreciate any thoughts.

While I'm asking questions, I'm also concerned about the counter weight
on my tone arm.  I've got one of the Esoteric TT, which seems  to be a
hot rodded version of the standard Technics/Gemini TT.  They sent me a
"transcription" head shell with the TT instead of the standard Technics
shell that it likely would have come with.  The Transcription HS is about
2 grams heavier  than the standard HS and I've never been able to get the
arm to properly balance out at zero.  I rather like the HS and don't wish
to have to replace it if I can avoid it.  I was looking into whether I
can buy a new counter weight so it will have enough heft to balance
properly.  The counter weight that it comes with is just a tad under 4oz
and goes from 0-2.5 in .5 increments (with 0 actually being 3).  I found
a place that sells the Technics counterweight that goes from 0-3.5.  Can
I put this heavier counter weight onto the tone arm or is the weight of
the counter weight specifically gauged by the weight of that particular
tone arm.  Getting a new weight seems like the best solution, but on all
the various TT cart set up/tweak pages I can find on the net don't seem
to have info about this problem.

Finally, does anyone have experience with "Gruv Glide" or other "groove
lubricants".  You are supposed to rub the Gruv Glide into the groove
which will instantly improve sound by reducing friction of stylus in
groove and all while not damaging the record.  Is this legit or snakeoil.
 Thanx, it's a real help to listen to what the group has to say about
many topics that end up here.  Randy