ARSCLIST  December 2006

ARSCLIST December 2006

Re: Floor Load Capacity

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:52:27 -0500

Hello, Nicole,

this is always a difficult question.

Are you using stationary or moving-aisle shelving?

This should never be done on this scale without consultation with a
structural engineer.

The basic figuring is fairly easy to get close, but the calculation
details should be reviewed with the structural engineer.

First order approximation for fixed-aisle shelving.

Take the linear footage weight of the records (assuming that the
shelves will all be 12" deep and you won't make 10" deep shelves for
the 10" records), multiply the weight per linear foot by the number
of shelves high you plan to stack them.

For moving aisle shelving, you're essentially done as the full load
per square foot is what is required.

You should also have a count of how many records per linear foot. For
fixed-aisle shelving, you'll need to figure out the ratio of square
footage of shelving to aisles and then apply that so you effectively
spread the weight across the whole room, but beware that the
structural engineer will also want to know point loads as for moving
aisle shelving.

150 pounds per square foot is low for moving aisle shelving for
videotape storage, so I suspect it's even less adequate for moving
aisle storage for vinyl/shellac.

Cheers,

Richard